Thai Select's Taste of Thailand Food Tour (Melbourne) @ Wednesday, May 05, 2021
Wednesday 28th April
Charlie & Co. dined as guests.
In a collaboration between Asian Inspirations and the Thai Department of International Trade Promotion (DITP)'s we were invited on the Taste of Thailand: Thai SELECT Food Tour promoting the Thai SELECT certificate. Which is a prestigious award awarded by the Department of International Trade Promotion to certify the food, hospitality and atmosphere of the restaurant, where 60%+ of the menu are authentic Thai dishes.
On the itinerary:
We've actually dined at these two spots many times, love the pad thai and betel leaf at Bangpop, dinning outdoors in summer under the moonlit sky by the water during our college days. The green curry at Jing Jai Thai is my go to, being just a block away from the office.
Jing Jai Thai
Our first stop was Jing Jai Thai on Flinders lane. We've been here many times though always get the same-ish dish, delighted to have someone take the led and order.
Drinks - Butterfly pea pandan juice. We guessed a light coconut water with a hint of sourness, not being familiar with pandan juice (how does one juice a leaf?). Butterfly pea is a flower which gives off a natural blue, that turns purple when you add citrus.
1. Yum Oysters - fresh oysters topped with a special sauce, chili, lime, garlic and chili jam sauce. So good! Thai sauces often have tamarind which takes it to the next level.
2. Yum pla foo - deep fried crispy flaked fish with green apple (fruity) salad. Fascinating, the boys reckon this is kinda like Catfish fluffed up like taro at yum cha, I have no idea what is it. Crispy and light it was wonderful in a fruit/salad especially with that thai dressing.
3. An chan noodle with grilled chicken - housemade purple noodles with butterfly pea, grilled chicken and relish sauce. Crispy skinned chicken with springy noodles and a not spicy sweet and sour dressing, so good! This dish has been on our list for years, and we've been missing out.
4. Pineapple (riceberry) fried rice. Colored with curry powder this mixed seafood fried rice also has pineapple for a sweet surprise, served playfully in a pineapple! The rice berry rice is very different from normal rice, chewy and more gluteny. But also medium-lower GI.
5. Zucchini boat noodles, the broth have a unique flavour and sweetness to it. I really like it, just don't look at the ingredient list (sweating emoji)
6. Dessert platter - mini mini rice dumplings in coconut milk, mochi like! It was like eating a kinda boba instead of drinking it XD coconut ice cream and durian cheesecake had us rolling out the door. The durian cheesecake I couldn't smell but could definitely taste, it's not as strong as I like (I love it pure) so safe to introduce to friends.
After one feast of a brunch we trammed over to Bangpop on South Wharf, a waterfront restaurant opposite Crown.
We sipped on chilli lychee vodkas and had a few nibbles before doing a cooking class, led by Head Chef Malcolm each with our own cooking station and a wok! This is our second time using one of those and it is hot!
Thai Fish Cakes
Pad Grapow Moo - Made by Yoyo
We made the classic thai starter, Thai red curry fish cakes with added green beans, and Pad Grapow Moo, a minced pork dish served with riceberry rice. These are definitely dishes we can make again at home.
But that wasn't all, alas I was already rolling after a second b/lunch so didn't try the Northern thai vegan larb and Saltgrass lamb rib jungle curry.
Thanks Asian Inspirations and the Thai Department of International Trade for an amazing food tour that had us rolling out the door with takeaway, such a lovely day to spend learning about Thai cuisine and playing in the kitchen.
Hi. I'm Charlie. Capricorn. ISFJ. An Events Planner. An American, San Franciscan in Melbourne.
This is a blog about food, events, desserts, hot chocolate & cupcakes, shopping, and the occasional beauty product review in between. A lifestyle blog by an American in Melbourne.
Want to contact me? For invites, restaurant reviews and product reviews contact us at the address below. Click here to email me. I'm always after new places to try!
All About Eggs
Projects Half Done
Adventures of Spending while Saving
Original Base Design
Base Editor - Erma97
Basecoder - detonatedlove
Original Header Design teacakehouse
Coding Assistance (IT)
Kitty_meow & Bala Kumaran
Any resemblance to real or fictitious names, identities, characters, persons, whether living or dead, settings, situations, or other information, is purely coincidental and unintentional.